One excessive precedence for any rookie quarterback – heck, any quarterback – is avoiding egregious errors.
And in that regard, Skylar Thompson has been exemplary in his first NFL coaching camp.
Thompson has missed on some throws he ought to have accomplished, however he additionally hasn’t thrown a single interception in eight coaching camp practices coming into Saturday.
The rookie seventh-round decide from Kansas State has tried between 5 and 15 throws in most practices. And he has not less than a half dozen completions of 20 yards or extra.
“It is an awesome factor to not have thrown any picks however I’ve missed some downfield receivers,” he mentioned. “I missed a put up that I must capitalize on [Friday]. Nonetheless a lot of errors. I knew there could be errors coming into this. I knew it would not be excellent.”
Thompson, if you happen to’ve observed, is tough on himself. So merely not throwing an interception in camp would not go away him content material.
“There is a high-quality line of being too conservative,” he mentioned. “We need to put stress on the protection, take our photographs, take our probabilities. But in addition maintain the soccer which is what we attempt to do.”
One factor he has observed, in comparison with the Huge 12, is “on this league, as I discovered, if you happen to’re behind schedule, it is most certainly going to be an incompletion as a result of the separation of being open is manner totally different this stage in comparison with school. With the ability to throw the ball earlier than guys are out of their break, with the ability to anticipate, I really feel I’ve gotten higher at however there’s at all times room for enchancment and it’ll come.”
He mentioned workforce government and former Dolphins legend Dan Marino sits within the quarterback conferences however would not speak a lot. Quarterbacks coach Darrell Bevell watches a quarterback make a throw on tape and children with Marino about what Marino would have executed on that throw and “we’ll giggle,” Thompson mentioned, including that he appreciates having Marino round.
Left sort out Terron Armstead, working his manner again from an offseason knee process, hopes to play a full season for the primary time in his profession.
Starting in his second season in 2014, Armstead has missed 38 common season video games and performed in 71.8 p.c of the Saints’ video games. He missed 9 final season with knee and elbow accidents.
“That is what I do for a dwelling, that is how I feed my household, that is how I make my life,” he mentioned, when requested how usually he thinks about taking part in a full season for the primary time in his profession.
“So ideally, all I need to do is play. Sadly, we do not at all times get to do what we need to do. My accidents have been a results of loads of various things, extra so compounding, coming again too early and all these good issues.
“Mike McDaniel and [athletic trainer] Kyle Johnston and the remainder of these guys have been acutely aware and cognizant of every part that I’ve handled beforehand, however I am attempting to get on that area each day, each play. You attempt to prehab, do all this preventive work that I am positively tapped into – the vitamin, the mobility, all these good issues.”
Armstead has participated in restricted 11 on 11 work due to his upkeep program. How a lot 11 on 11 apply work or preseason motion does he must be prepared?
“Ideally, I would like to have the ability to really feel like I am prepared, like I am game-ready and season-ready as early as potential,” he mentioned. “However I am not there but.”
The Dolphins and Buccaneers could have joint practices on Wednesday and Thursday in Tampa.
THIS AND THAT
▪ Proper guard Robert Hunt loves the workforce’s new huge zone blocking scheme: “That is the kind of offense that I need to play for, if I can, for the remainder of my profession, in all probability.”
Hunt mentioned he is a “lot slimmer” than a 12 months in the past.
▪ Thompson mentioned McDaniel has three guidelines: defend the workforce, no excuses and be on time.
▪ Porter Gustin — who has one sack in 26 NFL video games (together with 4 begins) for Cleveland over the previous three seasons — has had not less than three sacks the previous week. He mentioned he is taking part in each defensive finish and outdoors linebacker.
▪ Receivers coach Wes Welker, on his unit: “All people understands how deep our room is. Everytime you get a chance, you higher make the most of it. We have got to get Cheetah [Tyreek Hll] and Jaylen [Waddle] prepared and nonetheless have three preseason video games to see who’s going to separate themselves so far as fourth, fifth, sixth spot on the roster.
“I am not an enormous fan of flash gamers. I like guys which can be going to convey it each single day the place I do know who I am getting every day. It is uncommon you discover guys within the NFL who’re capable of flip it on on recreation days.”
▪ Waddle, requested Friday in regards to the first time he met Tua Tagovailoa: “He was quiet. He was like 4 lockers down from me at Bama and he saved calling me the fallacious title. He saved calling me Jason. I do not know why.”